In the field, you will need:
- A monarch count form.
- Pencils and a hard surface to write on.
- A 2-metre string to lay out quadrats (only for the Describe your site step; you do this just once a season).
- Suntan lotion and a bottle of water – you may be out in the sun for a while!
You may also find these items useful on your expeditions:
- A magnifying glass
- Milkweed identification sheets and caterpillar identification sheets for the different larval instars.
- A notebook for observations and questions.
- A camera – take pictures of what you see! You can validate your observations and share them in the photo gallery on the website.
Remember to wear closed shoes and long pants.
What if it rains?
Rain doesn’t have to keep you from going out, if you feel like it. Caterpillars will be there, rain or shine! If it is raining on the day of your excursion, you will find a raincoat, boots and a large plastic bag (to protect your data collection sheets) handy. Of course, you can always postpone your outing to the next day if the weather is really unpleasant.